Bedner’s is a farm, garden center, and landscape business located in McDonald, (Cecil Township), just 30 minutes southwest of Pittsburgh. In January, the growing begins of hanging baskets, potted annuals, herb & vegetable plants, and perennials in our 17 greenhouses. The retail store is open April 1 thru Christmas each year, offering a large plant selection, gardening supplies, bulk and bagged soils & mulch, landscape services, gardening workshops, and pick-your-own vegetables and pumpkins.
Our Mission: We provide our community with quality plants, products, services, and experiences that rejuvenate and inspire.
Our Values: Quality, Integrity, Teamwork, Dedication, & Education
1917 Stephen and Elizabeth Bedner begin the farming heritage with their acreage in Upper St. Clair. They had four children – Robert, Russell, Arthur, and Ruth.
1956 Robert and Russell opened Bedner’s Farm Market in Upper St. Clair, on Bowerhill Road and Painters Run Road. Ruth also helped the family business. She married Dick Rostron, and they had two children – Nancy and Dave. Robert had no children. Russell and Joan (Maioli) had three children – Bob, Ray, and Cathy.
1960 Bedner farm in Palm Beach county is established. In the early 1950’s, Arthur Bedner and his new bride Henrietta, relocated to South Florida from Bridgeville, to follow his dream of a new life in the farming industry. They had three children – Charlie, Bruce, and Steve, who continue to operate the farm and Bedner’s Farm Fresh Market.
1977 Bob and Sue Bedner marry, and their only child, Russ, is born in 1978. They work for the farm market in Upper St. Clair.
1985 Bob and Sue purchase a 42 acre farm in McDonald, PA, and begin building greenhouses to grow annual flowers and hanging baskets. They deliver all their homegrown produce and flowers to sell at the family’s farm market in Upper St. Clair.
1997 Bob and Sue branch off from the family farm market to open their own retail greenhouse in McDonald. There are ten greenhouses at this time. Russ works for the family business full time.
2000 Four more greenhouses are built to grow more geraniums, container gardens, and perennials.
2004 Russ and Melanie get married. Melanie decides to work for the family business full time after finishing her M.S. Ed. at Duquesne University.
2006 Russ and a family friend build a Nexus greenhouse, to be used as a larger retail space, including an expanded perennial and nursery area.
2013 Landscape design/build and maintenance services are now available.
- AmericanHort (formally the OFA)
- American Nursery and Landscape Association (ANLA)
- The National Association for Landscape Professionals (NALP)
- The Garden Center Group
- Washinton County Chamber of Commerce (WCCC)
- Washington County Tourism and Promotion Agency (WCTPA)
- McDonald Area Redevelopment Association (MARA)
- Washington County Farm Bureau
- Flower bed plantings at the Panhandle Trail, McDonald Trail Station.
- Cecil Friends of the Montour Trail
- South Fayette/Greater Bridgeville Relay for Life
- South Hills Women’s Club
- Pittsburgh Botanic Garden
- Cecil Township Parks and Recreation
- Penn State Master Gardeners of Allegheny and Washington counties
- Cecil and Muse Elementary schools
- Future Farmers of America – Fort Cherry High School
- Cecil American Legion
- Cecil and Muse Fire Departments
- Character Education Book sponsor for local elementary schools through The Ambassador Company
- The Armory Center for Youth in Canonsburg
- Strikes Against Cancer
- The Still Remembered Project