Weekly News, 10.7.20
Posted on: October 9, 2020
Posted in: Blog
As I’m typing the screams and laughter of our girls playing outside with Grammy can be heard, and I sit here thankful for grandparents. When we first became parents, I remember a wise friend saying how it “takes a village”, and I thought it was a nice saying but I’d probably be fine. As a new mother, of course I was excited to take care of my newborn, and not so willing to share her with anybody just yet. Seven years later, I have a much better understanding of what that saying means. We can’t do it on our own. Whether it’s grandparents, the neighbors, teachers, friends… we need the whole community to raise the future generation.
We also need each other as adults. We need the encouragement of others, or to hear a word of honesty from a friend who speaks the truth in love. We need each other in how “iron sharpens iron”, and to help us become the best versions of ourselves.
In a time when many of us are keeping a distance, I’m so thankful to witness how gardening and flowers bring us together. It’s been a joy to see people at the greenhouse who find some quiet time to walk around and browse plants, or who meet friends to attend one of our classes. Our goal is that the products and experiences that we provide will encourage you, teach you something new, give you some respite from the demands of life, or some restoration for your soul.
Here’s what to know this week:
- fall is an awesome time to divide perennials or add in some new plants, so we like to keep our supply fresh. See the photos below for some of our recent arrivals.
- registration for classes and workshops for the rest of our season is open, including holiday wreath-making, winter containers, and Christmas centerpiece workshop. As they fill up, we will add more on. Learn more and register here.
- we are hiring! Open positions right now include all Landscape positions and E-Commerce Coordinator. Here is a link to our job application, and referral program.
- There are just over three weeks left to spend your Bedner Bucks. Your 2020 Bucks will expire after 10/31/20, and we will be rolling out a slightly modified program in 2021, due to our season being extended through Christmas. You can check your balance through our mobile app or the link at the bottom of the email.
- this Budding Botanist grant opportunity for came into my view, and I thought I’d share it. Please pass this on to the teachers you know. Their goal with the grant is to help kids to learn about plants, explore their world and inspire them to take care of the life they discover in their local ecosystems.
More screams are coming from the porch so I had better sign off for now. I keep overhearing shouts about how many stink bugs are out on our porch. I promised I’d take the girls and Grammy to Casciola’s for ice cream since they’ve all waited patiently for me as I worked today, so I’d better get going. Thanks to all of you grandparents and other loving caregivers out there! I hope someone buys you ice cream soon too!
|Echinacea ‘Butterfly Julia’
Echinacea ‘Kismit Red’
Echinacea ‘Cheyenne Spirit’
Aster ‘Lady in Red’
Aster ‘Purple Dome’
Gaillardia ‘Spintop Yellow’
Dianthus ‘American Pie Bumbleberry’
Dianthus ‘First Passion’
Baptisia ‘Pink Lemonade’
Coreopsis ‘Lil Bang Daybreak’
Select Trees & Shrubs
We’re having a tree and shrub inventory clearance sale on select items. All plants are 75% OFF and must go. They are all mature, balled & burlapped plants, and you will need a truck to transport them.
See the list below, and see one of our Sales Associates in the Nursery for assistance.
All plants are first come, first served and while supplies last.
Thursday, October 8 @ 5:30pm
The Living Bird Feeder
Saturday, October 10 @ 1pm
Seeds: A Family Class
Thursday, October 15 @ 5:30pm
The Science of Fall Color
Saturday, October 17 between 1-3pm
All Ages Paint Your Own Pumpkin
Thursday, October 22 @ 5:30pm
Saturday, October 24 @ 1pm
Gardening for the Birds: A Family Class
|If you or someone you care about has lost a child to miscarriage, stillbirth, SIDS, or any other cause at any point during pregnancy or infancy, we invite you to visit the greenhouse to hang a leaf on our tree in remembrance of your loved one any day during the month of October. (note we are closed on Mondays & Tuesdays).
For every leaf on our tree, we will donate $1 to The Still Remembered Project.
On Sunday, November 1, our friends from SRP will be reading the names on the leaves to honor each child. The Still Remembered Project has a table with information, keepsakes for you to take home, and a basket giveaway.
|In Loving Memory of Julia Rose Bedner, born still on October 23, 2019. You are in our hearts forever.