Weekly News, 05.24.22
I hope that you’ve had some time recently to get in the garden and get your hands dirty!
I had so much fun on Saturday night planting over sixty Sunpatiens in my patio pots and landscape beds. This year I decided to plant all seven of my pots and the two landscape beds with the same plant and same color. I can’t wait to watch them grow and see how it looks. I just love the big impact of mass plantings or groupings of the same plant. Sunpatiens are one of the best shows of annual color that you can get. Pictured here is one of my container gardens from last summer.
How will you celebrate Memorial Day this week? Do you go to a parade?
I have good memories of walking in Bridgeville’s parade with my softball team. As an adolescent, I didn’t completely grasp or appreciate the ceremony and gun salute at Melrose cemetery, but I’m thankful to have experienced it. I can really appreciate it now as an adult. Usually Russ and I don’t get to leave the greenhouse on Memorial Day, since it’s one of our busiest weekends of the year. However since we’ve become parents, I try to take our girls to the parade and start teaching them about the great heroes of our country that lost their lives in battle for our freedom.
Here are a couple of notes for the week–
- we just unpacked a fresh batch of houseplants in a few days ago, including some adorable succulents and carnivorous plants
- a few plant highlights from our Nursery department include:
- Stop by to look around while the selection is best. While we restock shrubs and trees all season through fall, we only get in one big spring delivery of many of the more unique plants. Once they are gone, that is it until next spring.
- while I have your attention during the spring planting season, I want to make sure that you know about our summer offerings. We have plenty of reasons for you to stop back to see us again and again this summer, including—Community Market Days, our weekly Bedner Bag, our cut flower field, pick-your-own veggies, plenty of make-n-take workshops, plus our winery and food truck.
- the winery hours are Wednesdays from 3-7pm and Saturdays 11-3pm. Enjoy a glass while you shop, or grab a bottle to take home. Our food truck hours are the same, with the addition of Sundays from 11-3pm.
- if you’re looking for a fun night out while supporting a great group, check out the Garden Party put on by the Moon Township Garden Club. In addition to beautifying our community through gardening, they also give back in other ways, like their scholarship fund and supporting the library.
Do you have any good gardening news or events to share? Let me know, I’d love to hear about it.
Wishing you joy in the garden this week, as well as some quiet time to pause in remembrance, respect, and gratitude for those who have served and sacrificed on behalf of America.
Enjoy the beauty,