Weekly News, 07.26.22
Hi gardening friends,
One of the to-do’s on our July gardening checklist is to visit other gardens. I’ve always loved visiting our customers’ homes to see what you create with the plants that you get from us. I always admire their hard work and come away inspired. Recently I had the treat to visit two of our staff member’s gardens and we recorded it for my Garden Tour 2022. Keep your eye out for those sometime next month.
Earlier this year I watched the documentary called “The Gardener”, which is a garden tour of the private estate of Frank Cabot. In it he recounts the history and work of his horticultural masterpiece on his family’s 20-acre estate, Les Quatre Vents in Quebec. I love his words as he reflects on the meaning of gardening and its impact in our lives. Here are a few quotes that I wrote down from the film as he spoke:
“I see visiting a garden as basically an emotional and sensual experience, as well as something that is filled with surprise. To really visit a garden is a special thing. You just don’t go through it, looking at what you see. You really should do it alone or with maybe one sympathetic friend who doesn’t talk too much. It’s awful to have people talking when you’re going through a garden. I watch people go through this garden and the good ones, they look at things quietly and drink them in and they think about them and they begin to in a way have a conversation with the garden and they listen to what it’s saying to them.”
Here are a few notes this week—
- the lucky winner of the pick-your-own package giveaway from last week is Maria Comas. Congratulations!
- bushels of canning tomatoes are now available for $30, and bushels of romas are $32. Call us at 724-926-2541 to place an order a minimum of two days in advance.
- in addition to our homegrown vegetables, local meats by Coyne Family Farm are also available. They have been a regular during our weekly, Saturday vendor market, and now you can shop the Coyne freezer in our store during regular store hours, Monday – Saturday.
- we have been having fun trying out new recipes as a family that inspire us to prepare our homegrown vegetables in different ways. What is one of your favorite recipes using produce? Send it to me here with subject line “Favorite Recipes”. If you do you’ll be entered to win a Bedner Bag, our weekly CSA, and I’ll compile them to share in a future newsletter. I’ll pick a random winner for the Bedner Bag next week.
- we’ve made it easier for you to know what our current store sales are! Simply open our mobile app and click the “Rewards” icon.
- our Office Manager, Jessie, is soon moving on to a new career opportunity in the corporate world. Thank you Jessie for everything that you’ve done. We are excited for you and congratulate you in your next adventure.
Wishing you some quiet time to ponder all of the magic that nature and gardening has to offer this week.
Enjoy the beauty,