Weekly News, 11.09.21
One of our Core Values here at Bedner’s is Education. Our goal is to always be learning and growing, so that we can maintain the level of excellence that we aspire to, and then share our knowledge with the community. In order to “add things to this world”, as Dave Ramsey puts it, we have to make a choice to fill our cups with what is good, healthy and whole. Only once our cup is full, then it will overflow to those around us. My biggest hope in life is that I’m adding things to this world, and not tearing it down.
Russ and I recently attended a 4-day leadership conference to “fill our cups”. We surrounded ourselves with over 700 other business owners and speakers so that we could learn, stretch and grow. We have a passion for the work that we are blessed to do here on this small patch of land in McDonald, PA, and we are committed to doing the work it takes to do it to the best of our ability. And yes, even though the event was in Florida, it was “work”. However, our passion keeps us going. Thankfully, our girls and their Grandma Suzi came with us too. Unfortunately, the weather was better here in Pittsburgh thanks to a Northeaster storm in Fernandina Beach, but we still made the most of it!
Here are a few updates and news of interest for the week:
- Our monthly Wine Down Wednesday event is tonight from 5-8pm. The Evergreens will be here to fill the greenhouse with great music.
- The Winter Sizzle plants are here. They are perfect for creating small container gardens or window boxes for the winter. The plants look great and last now through early spring, when you can then transfer them to the perennial bed. Here’s my quick, amateur slideshow from last fall to show you how I transformed one of my fall containers.
- Many thanks to all that voted for us in the Observer-Reporter’s “Best of the Best”. We’ve been making the top 3 for Best Garden Center over the past years, but this is the first year that we made First Place.
- We have a great line up of holiday workshops, including bow-making, winter containers, evergreen gnome workshops, wreath decorating, centerpieces, and a visit from Santa. Check our event’s calendar to sign up soon, because many are sold out already.
- Our holiday greens are beginning to arrive this week, and Christmas trees start to arrive next week. All holiday and Christmas will be ready and displayed by the Open House event on Saturday, November 20.
- Veterans Day is unique this year. The year 2021 marks the 100th Anniversary of the year and the day our Unknown Soldier was returned home to American shores. The national Society of the Honor Guard, Tomb of the Unknown Soldier has enlisted the American Rose Society to encourage the creation of ‘Never Forget Gardens’ to ensure the millions of America’s war dead are forever honored and remembered. Here is a link that I found if you’d like to watch the Flower Ceremony.
Cheers to doing the hard things and giving it all you got, even when you feel like giving up. Our world needs all of us “adding things to” it. Each person’s contribution matters.
Enjoy the Beauty,