Weekly News, 11.4.20
Posted on: November 11, 2020
Posted in: Blog
Recently I mentioned that we had a family photo shoot, and I wanted to share one of our updated family pictures! The last one hanging on Suzi’s wall has Hope as a newborn and Ruth nowhere to be found. Even though it can be a challenge to get everyone together, I’m glad that we did it. That day, Ruth would not smile so Suzi bribed her with ice cream. It was COLD and windy, of course. And Pap wouldn’t take his hat off at Grandma’s request. Oh well. We still look pretty good! I’m glad that we’ll have this photo and memory.
Speaking of memories, our hope is that you are able to make some of your own at our greenhouse this Holiday season. Sure, there hasn’t been a whole lot of events or things to do, but we’ve planned a great lineup of classes and workshops for you to attend. The greenhouse has plenty of space for us to spread out and safely have some fun. So grab some friends for the upcoming macrame planter workshop, or round up the kids for the family wreath decorating workshop. Our goal is that you learn something new while getting a chance to relax and have some fun.
Here’s what’s new this week:
- a new arrival this week is a wildbird seed that contains six different seeds, and is all natural with no fillers.
- another new arrival are Maple Street Jams. We have four delicious flavors available and they would make a nice gift or treat. All handmade in Pittsburgh.. learn more about them below.
- Suzi and Maddison created some beautiful succulent pumpkin centerpieces yesterday, if you’re looking for something for the dining table or as a gift.
- small evergreens for the holidays are now available in our Nursery department.
- our staff has begun the store transition to Christmas! New decor is being unpacked and displayed, and all of our trees, wreaths and greens will be available on November 27.
- if you’re looking for some live container garden plants for smaller containers, our Winter Sizzle plants are available now. Check Russ’ video below for a peak at those.
- if you can’t make it to our Amaryllis Workshop this Thursday or Saturday, bulbs are available for sale in store, including the varieties Picotee, Appleblossom, Estella, Carmen, Arctic Nymph, and Red Nymph.
- the greenhouse produce harvest is plentiful, and we want you to try it! Print or show this email newsletter from your smartphone to get $5 off of your produce purchase of $10 or more.
- perennials are still Buy 1, Get 1 FREE and this week is a GREAT week to get some in the ground!
- heads up that we’re coordinating an Angel Tree program for 48 residents of a low-income senior housing building in Canonsburg. The Angels will be on our tree in the greenhouse by November 18 and your unwrapped gifts are due back to us by December 11. Help us to spread some holiday cheer! Stay tuned for more details.
Enjoy the sunshine,
Succulent Pumpkin Care Tips
|Fresh succulent pumpkin arrangements look great as a centerpiece on the dining table or on a mantel.
- treat like a houseplant, giving it bright, indirect light inside the house
- spritz with water once per week to moisten the moss and hydrate any new roots that are growing
- once the pumpkin is past it’s prime, gently remove the succulent plants from the top and plant in soil.
New Product Alert!! Now available in our produce department–
Maple Street Jam Co. was founded by Caitlin & Donna, a mother/daughter team from Pittsburgh, PA. Inspired by their passion for High Tea culture, Maple Street Jam Company was created. Some of our favorite memories have been around a teapot, surrounded by little sandwiches, scones and most importantly… JAMS
Through their travels, Caitlin and Donna have found so many wonderful flavor combinations both domestic and abroad. They hope to share with you their favorite flavors and memories through their jam.
Learn more about them at www.maplestreetjam.com or in this recent article about them.