Weekly News, 5.5.21
You might have noticed, but I love quotes. In thinking about Mother’s Day coming up, and parenthood in general, the quote by Gretchen Rubin comes to mind, “The days are long but the years are short.” I heard this repeated once or twice in my mom’s group years ago, and as a new mother, I was just learning all about what that meant. When raising babies and young children, many days are long and hard. Then you blink and your baby is eight years old. Or twenty. Or forty.
I am also thinking about, with appreciation, my own mom, my mother-in-law, and so many of the women who have been like mothers to me along my path. We so need strong women to look up to and guide us, and many times they are not biological moms, but mothering us none the less. Cheers to a great week celebrating the great women in your life, and remembering those who have passed. As George Washington said, “My mother was the most beautiful woman I ever saw. All I am I owe to my mother. I attribute all my success in life to the moral, intellectual, and physical education I received from her.
Here’s what to know this week–
- we still have some spots left for any early birds who want to treat themselves to a relaxing, preview shopping event this Saturday, called Mother’s Day Mimosas. It’s a great way to treat yourself to some quiet shopping time, or come with a group. We’re letting a small number of people into the greenhouse before we open to the public at 9am and will have a mimosa (alcoholic or non-alcoholic) waiting for you!
- we have a lot of great plants to tell you about below. Watch Russ’ video to learn about the different types of Impatiens. Also listed below are the 25+ varieties of Clematis we have available.
- we’re getting some microgreens and sunflower sprouts started in the greenhouses, and they’ll be available for purchase in-store in a week or two.
- today through Sunday our Nursery department is running a Mother’s Day Special on 1-gallon Double Knockout Roses, Endless Summer Hydrangeas, and Bloomstruck Hydrangeas, sale price is $19.99, (regularly $29.99).
- the store is fully stocked with everything you need. All of our homegrown plants are mostly ready by now. Some things we are already sold out of, but don’t panic.. we still have a great selection!
- May is the busiest and most important month of our season. We do our best to give excellent customer service always, but this month is always a challenge. The demand of calls, emails and visitor questions often exceeds our ability to help you. Our staff are awesome and are doing their best. If you happen to catch us at a time when we’re at max capacity, please be patient and kind to them. Thank you!