Weekly News, 7.8.20
I hope that you have been able to soak in some time enjoying nature and gardens recently. I feel like this season my eyes have been opened even more to see and take in the beauty right in front of me. Whether it’s at home on my own property, or someone else’s garden, there is so much to explore!
This month I’m doing some visits to gardens in our area, and I kicked it off by touring our front beds at the greenhouse with Tristan, our Retail Manager who also designed them. There is always something to learn and admire in the garden, and listening to Tristan this past Saturday helped me to do that. Tristan is full of great planting tips and ideas. See below for some details and images of my tour with him, and feel free to reach out to him or myself with any questions about the plants.
Here’s what to know this week–
- our homegrown produce continues to grow well. We’ll be picking our fresh blueberries for about another week or so. Blueberrry jam anyone??
- speaking of canning, our Summer Garden Series starts this week! Guest speaker Denise Shreiber will be here to teach us how to can and preserve our harvest. Canning supplies will be available. Sign up here.
- you can find the whole list of classes in our summer and fall line up on this downloadable flyer.
- Next week’s class is our Crazy Container Contest, where you could win a $50 Gift Card! There is also a Kids’ Crazy Container Contest workshop next week too. I had a blast going to Hidden Treasures last week to find some fun things to plant, including a jewelry box, lamp shade, and pair of shoes. I have a crazy idea for a container for our girls to plant too. I just have to get Russ to adapt it so it will hold potting soil. Stay tuned!
- our homegrown produce available right now includes blueberries, beets, cucumbers, pickles, lettuce, tomatoes, and zucchini. Sweet corn, peppers and eggplant should be ready in 1-2 weeks. We also currently have peaches and nectarines from Virginia.
- a new delivery of fresh perennials arrives this week, including some Artemesia ‘Silver Mound’, Carex ‘Blue Zinger’, Epimedium, Helianthus, six varieties of perennial Hibiscus, four varieties of Hosta, and more.
- as mentioned last week, we are now closed on Mondays and Tuesdays. Store hours Wednesday – Sunday are 9-5pm.
Thanks for reading and have a great rest of your week!
|Crazy Container Contest!|
|It’s time to get the creative juices flowing and for your thumbs to turn green! Join us on Thursday, July 16th, for the Adult Session of our Crazy Container Contest! Bring your own container* and fill it with plants of your choice from our greenhouse! |
Kids can join the fun too, with a workshop at 2pm on Thursday.