Weekly News, 9.16.20
Posted on: September 18, 2020
Posted in: Blog
We have so many choices of what to do with our time, don’t we? I try to be careful in how I choose to spend my time, because it’s short and precious. We tell each other things like, “enjoy every moment” and “time goes so fast.” We all know this truth, but I feel like I’m learning it more and more. There are days at home with our girls that go so fast and I wonder– what in the world did I accomplish today?
I hate to ever feel like I am wasting time. I may be a little obsessive about it, admittedly. I start and end the day thinking about what I need to accomplish and what I did or did not accomplish. I’m learning to let go of that mentality, and accept that I am a human “being”, not a human “doing”. It’s so great to just slow down sometimes and just “be”, right?
When we are in the mode of “doing” things though, gardening is never a waste. Each time we– care for our soil and plants, weed, prune, show someone our garden, visit someone else’s garden, learn something new about plants… we are always investing in time well spent. As Robert Breault says, “If you’ve never experienced the joy of accomplishing more than you can imagine, plant a garden.” Gardening is always time well spent, friends.
One new thing that our family is now “being” is the owners of a puppy. She is a mixed breed from a local shelter. She ended up there all the way from Texas! We’re having a great time taking Daisy for walks outside and watching her discover the JOY of the outdoors. There’s a good chance you just might meet Daisy next time you’re at the greenhouse 🙂
Here’s what’s new and interesting this week:
- new arrivals this week include a wide variety of pumpkins, indian corn, fall pansies, and houseplants.
- our Retail Manager, Tristan, is teaching a houseplant for beginners class tomorrow night. We still have a few chairs available.
- due to many requests, we’ve added one more Fall Container workshop on for this Saturday, September 19 at 2pm. For $35 you get a 14″ pot, soil, and a wide variety of plants to create your own fall masterpiece.
- our new Education & Events Coordinator, Maddison, is teaching a Fall Gardening Tips + Tricks class next Thursday night. She’ll be doing a demonstration of how-to divide perennials, how to collect seeds, and much more! We’ve worked together a brief time already and I
- we’re super excited to announce a new event schedule for the rest of our season, which will be out SOON! Our weekly Thursday night classes will still be happening until the week before Christmas. There will also be presentations and workshops on the weekends.
- October is National Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Month, and in partnership with The Still Remembered Project, we’ll be hosting a month-long remembrance event at the greenhouse. Keep an eye out for details in the newsletter on September 30, and spread the word with those you know who have experienced a loss.
- our greenhouse vegetable crops are looking good! I’ll share some photos of the progress next week.
- we’re having a HUGE tree and shrub inventory clearance sale on select items. All plants are 75% OFF and must go. They are all mature, balled & burlapped plants, and you will need a truck to transport them. See the list below, and see one of our Sales Associates. All plants are first come, first served and while supplies last.
Thanks for reading, and happy gardening!
Thursday, September 17 @ 6pm
Saturday, September 19 @ 2pm
Potting with a Twist: Fall Containers
Thursday, September 24 @ 6pm
Fall Gardening Tips + Tricks
Saturday, September 26 @ 8:30am
Yoga on the Farm